Have you read the latest campaign material from the Labour Council candidates?
The question should be asked whether they are in touch with the ward?
Let’s start with the first page….
Who is Claire Gilbert?
Has anyone else noticed that one of the ward Labour Councillors has silently disappeared from the Roehampton radar and popped up to campaign in West Hill ward for a seat? Check out the Twitter link which proves this – https://twitter.com/angelamireland/status/985479887111753728 . There’s been no farewell, no thanks for the memories, no “Thank you Roehampton & Putney Heath for having elected me in 2010 and 2014 and it has been a pleasure serving the community for eight years”.
Then the potential replacement, Scott Couldridge, came and went, with no explanation. Bye Scott, it was a pleasure knowing you……..sorry, who were you again?
Now, we have Claire Gilbert, who attended The Putney Society Hustings on 18 April 2018 and did not contribute much to the discussed topics. Hmmmm……”Claire has immersed herself into the community and the issues our residents face”. Really, this leaflet is the first many residents have heard of Claire……..
House price and rent comment
Let’s take the comment, “In Roehampton the average rent for a 3 bedroom house is £1924 per month and the average price for a 3 bedroom house is over £609,000”. Okay, what’s the reason for using these figures (and where did they come from). A three bed maisonette on the Alton Estate does not go for these figures….
The following is an example of a 3 bedroom maisonette on the Alton Estate which is £1,600 per month.
Source: Zoopla 28 April 2018
The following is an example of a 3 bedroom maisonette on the Alton Estate which is for sale at £385,000.
Source: Zoopla 28 April 2018
Now for the second page………..
If elected, the Labour Party commits to the following;
- Low Council Tax with the right values,
- Build more genuinely affordable homes,
- Cleaner air, greener and safer neighbourhoods,
- Guarantees bin collections and improvements to recycling, and
- High quality schools.
Hmmm…..no mention of (for example)………..the following local concerns…………………;
- Retro-fitting water sprinklers,
- Alton Estate regeneration,
- Make sure the Roehampton University portacabins are removed in just under two years,
- Work with those dissatisfied residents whom had double glazing installed,
- How they will assist those residents who have been hit by large service charge bills (notably through installation of double glazing) and will be further pressured by retro-fitting water sprinklers,
- The constant fly tipping on the Alton Estate, and
- Actually doing something about car parking pressures.
Let’s see what the 3rd May Local Borough Council elections hold for us.
Please note that all information is provided on a best efforts basis and that readers should make their own efforts to review and assess the provided content.
To receive blog articles as they are uploaded please ‘follow’ the blog.
Email us at – email@example.com – and let us know of any concerns/thoughts you may have or add a comment at the end of the blog entry in the ‘Leave a Reply’ section.
Or email your Roehampton and Putney Heath Councillors at;
Or email your local Member of Parliament at;
For a different view of Roehampton, especially the Alton Estate